We found out today that Leah is allergic to penicillin drugs. It all started last week when I finally took her in for her cough that she'd had for about a month. I was letting it go and letting it go until I just couldn't stand it anymore. Her doctor said it was probably just cold after cold, but went ahead and put her on Amoxicillin (a.k.a the best pink stuff on Earth!). This was last Tuesday.
Yesterday, when I was getting ready to put Leah in the bath (which she now hates because she realized that her hair feels different wet....but that's another post!), I noticed little "bites" around her waistline and upper legs. I thought maybe something bit her at school, because they weren't there when I dropped her off that morning. I didn't give her anything because I thought it was just bug bites.
When I woke her up this morning, there were more of them, and her hands were starting to get a little swollen. I dropped her off anyway, talking to them about the bites and saying to call if she started acting strange. They said her class hadn't been outside the day before, and they would check the beds and rooms for any signs of bugs. Not even an hour later, at 7:20, I got the call that her hands and arms were looking very puffy and they thought it might be spider bites.
I quickly found a sub and got Leah to the doctor. One look and she said "Oh yes, she allergic to the medicine". So now Leah is off the pink stuff and on Benadryl for a few days to get the spots and swelling to go away. So, all in all, no more penicillin for Leah! Poor baby...
Life is a marathon when raising triplets
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment