Monday, January 19, 2009

Switching To Formula

I've been thinking lately that I haven't been making enough milk for Leah since going back to work. I've only been able to pump once during the day, and barely getting 6 oz. We've been dividing the milk up between her three daycare bottles, so she was getting a majority of formula and only a little milk in each bottle. She doesn't last as long between feedings on the weekends when I'm only nursing. At first, we weren't sure if it was because she was sick or if I wasn't making enough, but today she went 3 hours without having a dirty diaper, and that's not normal for her. So we made the decision to stop nursing and just go with formula.

It was a hard decision, because obviously my milk is best, but if I'm not making enough for her, she needs to get enough to eat and formula is the way to make sure that happens. She got 2 months of exclusive nursing, and then the last month she has gotten a mix, so she's gotten a good start. I would have liked to nurse longer, but with working and daycare and all the added stress, it was just too hard. While I will miss that bonding time, I hope I will still bond with her when she gets her bottles. Plus now it's easier for Eric to feed her too (and baby-sitters if we ever decide to get out for the night!).

The upside is that I can now have the chimichanga from On The Border that I've been craving since Leah's birth, and maybe a little beverage to go with it!!! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! Is she feeling better yet?

Murthy Family said...

YEA! Join the formula gang!